Last Updated on
Social media can be a bit tough to navigate. And specifically, connecting with millennials can be quite intimidating. Millennials have grown up as digital natives, and instead of seeing social media as a gathering of information, as someone slightly older might, they view social media as an opportunity to experience what other users have to offer and to create experiences themselves. The community is very important to them.
Millennials play a huge role in social media marketing in healthcare – they’re the generation that is tech-savvy, ‘in-touch’ and have grown up in a social media world. Therefore, they are a key target audience for digital marketing campaigns of medical practices. That is the reason why engaging with millennials is super important for brand awareness, patient acquisition, and patient retention.
How To Engage Millennials To Visit Your Practice?
Play Up The Visuals
Visuals do better on social media than content without visuals. And this is definitely true with the Millennial audience – videos, photos, gifs, and infographics constantly flood their social streams.
Therefore, you should create short videos on platforms like Instagram or Twitter to pique their interest. And produce longer videos for platforms like YouTube to explain something like pre or post-procedural preparations and share information through storytelling. Also, make sure your posts on Facebook and your tweets on Twitter include visuals whenever possible.
Given the benefits of social media in healthcare, you should be posting plenty of visual content anyway. People retain information better when visual content is present and engagement also goes up. So, get creative and try to pair as much content as you can with eye-catching visual content!
Encourage User-Generated Content
Millennials, for the most part, love user-generated content, and it can have a tremendous impact on your social media pages. Not only does it encourage active participation from your patients and followers, but it gives you content to share, thus lessening the burden for content creation on your part. And user-generated content tends to promote engagement, not only from millennials but from your entire follower base.
What Exactly is User-Generated Content?
User-Generated Content is defined as any type of content that has been created and put out there by unpaid contributors or, using a better term, patients. It can refer to pictures, videos, testimonials, tweets, blog posts, and everything in between. And it is the act of users promoting a brand/service.
User-generated content can have a significant impact on choosing a medical provider, given the tendency that people trust what other people have to say versus what the provider has to say.
How Do You Encourage User-Generated Content to Millennials?
You can have a testimonial section on your website and your social media pages. Be sure to share the positive reviews, as this also helps build loyalty. Or, you could run a contest, such as submitting a photo or sharing your content, along with the supplied hashtag for a chance to win an item, free consultation or visit discount.
Using Ephemeral Content
Ephemeral content is rich media, primarily images and videos, that are only accessible for a brief period. These types of disappearing stories have become an incredibly popular social media phenomenon. And considering that the best practices for social media in healthcare are to “be where your potential patient is”, it’s no surprise that the stories feature has become an essential social media strategy in the healthcare world.
Having a limited lifespan, temporary content creates a sense of urgency. Usually, there’s a 24-hour window to not only view the content, but to also react and share it with others. Therefore, you better act while there’s time. Essentially, temporary content will help raise your voice above permanent posts, grab your patient’s attention, and elicit a quick response.
In addition, your disappearing content needs to fit your overall practice image and be fresh, snappy, funny, and shareable. For example, try posting a sneak peek of the latest activities at your facility or a behind the scenes look at your facility.
Leverage Ambassadors and Influencers
Influencer marketing is one of the best ways to quickly build your brand online. This allows your practice to connect with your existing and potential patients in a more organic way than compared to traditional forms of digital advertising.
The beauty about influencer marketing is that the audience is already there, all you need to do is establish a win-win partnership where both parties are offering amazing value.
Here are four big benefits of using influencer marketing to bolster your social media strategy.
- Quickly builds trust. Influencers have built relationships, trust, and credibility with their fans. People respect their content and recommendations.
- It improves brand awareness. As noted, influencer marketing can greatly expand your reach and positioning online. Social users will begin to learn more about your brand, your story, who you are, and the services you offer.
- Enriches your content strategy. Sharing influencer content can help fill in the gaps in your own content schedule.
- Effectively reaches your target audience. Through relevant influencers, your content is placed in front of social users who are already interested in your niche. You don’t have to spend additional funds on testing and finding your potential patients.
What Type of Content do Millennials Like?
Millennials and some may be hungry to understand how millennials think. The truth is that millennials are the biggest generation in the entirety of American history. Millennials number around 95 million– 17 million more than the largest previous generation, the Baby Boomers with 78 million. In short, if you respect the power of content marketing, reaching millennials should be a top priority.
- Millennials love video and accessibility on all of their devices.
- Millennials share content that is emotional or attached to a cause they believe in or taps into social proof.
- Millennials appreciate content they can contribute to, participate in, customize, and make their own.
According to Custom Shutterstock, content is king in the digital age, so the key to marketing to digital natives is to offer millennials content that follows these types:
- Relevant – Establish an engaging personality for your brand to help millennial consumers feel a personal connection. If the consumer feels emotionally attached or tied to the brand, they’ll be more likely to share your messaging with their friends and become an advocate for your brand.
- Educational – The digital age is one of knowledge, and millennials are always looking for ways to improve themselves. Most of the millennial say they seek out educational online resources on a wide variety of subjects. Before selling your product or service, educate, add value, and genuinely help millennials learn and grow.
- Entertaining – Millennials’ top reasons to not skip a branded video are if it’s brief and entertaining, so be short and funny! In a highly-saturated media landscape, content that entertains or provides a fresh take on something is what stands out. Sharing content is a large part of socializing in the digital age: if your content is funny, there’s a higher chance it’ll enjoy organic reach.
To Sum Up
Social media marketing to the millennial generation requires a new and more strategic approach to audience attraction and engagement. You need to keep in mind what the world is like for this generational group and respond to the way that they like to interact with the world. Meet them where they are at, on platforms that they care about, and deliver the right message to the group. Make it as personal as possible and show off your values.
If your practice is having difficulty understanding how to leverage social media platforms to ensure success, that’s where Website4MD can help. We’ll help you find the best approach to overcoming the challenges of social media marketing in healthcare. And, if you’re interested in getting started but aren’t sure where to begin, reach out to our social media marketing specialist today. We’ll get you on the path to success.